Hi Casey,

Welcome to the wonderful world of ClassLoading.

The default configuration for 3.3 is to use a separate class loader for
container ( i.e. tomcat.core, jasper, jaxp ) and web applications.

This resolves a number of problems - like having a different parser in the
web application.

It also resolves the problem of overriding and fine-control over what is
seen in the web app, and does enhance the security ( most classes that are
 visible in container are "trusted" ).

But what I love about this is that it forces us to make a clear
distinction between what is runtime and what is internal to the container.

To answer to your problem:  I assume TagPoolManager will be available at
runtime to jsps. So it should be included in the common runtime, shared by
both webapps and container.

TagPoolInterceptor is a container extension, so it'll be part of the
container loader. You shouldn't use static fields in general, but if you
do keep in mind that "static" refers to the ClassLoader+Class combination
( you have one instance of the static field for each class loader ).

BTW, this operating mode ( with multiple loaders ) is the most flexible
for tomcat. The old mechanism still works ( with the old limitations ),
but requires some code to enable it ( it's mostly for embeded tomcat ).

Costin