Hi Mel,

In my view, jasper is composed from at least 5 big components:

1. The jsp->java translator.

2. The java->class compiler

3. The Mangler ( managing name mappings )

4. Runtime - that should be completely independent of all other pieces,
since jasper-generated servlets should run without jasper ( as simple
servlets )

5. Interface with the serlvet container ( JspServlet, JspInterceptor and
the associated classes). ( putting all other components togheter )

My understanding is that your proposal is related with (5), and it seems
it has the great property that it can be done as a proper refactoring -
without chaning any functionality, just by providing better communication
and code organization ( as the first stage ), and then by creating one
module ( that will eventually replace JspServlet ).

Since this is my favorite "modus operandis" I can't say anything than a
big +1...

There are few issues:

- Impact on 3.3 release cycle. I hate delaying it - it's clear we
need another milestone, but I believe in the "release early and often"
( and on schedule :-). I tried very hard to decouple the components as
much as possible, so development on any component shouldn't affect the
overall release ( and the rest of the code ).

That would be resolved by your proposal to use a separate package name -
the new ( "in development mode" ) code can be developed in a proposal
space and released separately and be included in a 3.3.1 for example.

I think keeping "old, stable" code in paralel with "new,
better" implementations and doing a gradual replacement is a very good
strategy ( AJP1.1 -> AJP1.2 -> Ajp1.3 -> Ajp1.4, mod_jserv -> mod_jk ->
mod_jk+webapp,  facade22 -> facade23, etc ).

- The other 4 components of jasper are also in a big need for a
refactoring. I think we'll see a lot of improvements in jsp->java
generation, and it would help a lot to be able to modularize it even more.

We clearly need a refactoring to allow you to plug the new JspServlet, and
we should extend it to at least the point where we cleanly separate the
components.

- Jasper 4. This will increase the divergence between jasper3 and jasper4.
I spent some time trying to find a way to merge the 2, and I gave up
because of the current complexity. If a similar refactoring is done in
both sides ( since at least 90% of the code is still common ), and as
result of refactoring we can merge the common code in a set of common
components - then we might get more people involved and avoid a lot of
time waste.

- Class loading and other interfacing problems. As I said many times, I
don't think JspServlet is the right way to plug jasper in a container, but
a richer interface exposing more of jasper. Having a working JspServlet
for quick-plugin is great, but I think we should rather focus on keeping
it just a small facade to a  better designed and more powerfull internal
API.

In any case, a refactoring can only help, and you have my +1 ( i.e. I
think it's a good idea and I'll help !).

( BTW, I'm looking into an alternative/experimental implementation for the
jsp->java component, probably after 3.3 - as a standalone add-on
module. I have few ideas - but I want to first do a prototype )

Costin