I'm still trying to use Realms on a per webapp context basis. This seems
to be harder than I first imagined.

Could someone from the tomcat developemt team please comment on whether
this is possible or not at all?

There are comments in the source that indicates that in theory this
should be possible. But putting a <Realm ... /> anywhere else than
inside the <Engine></Engine> part of server.xml is ignored.

I have also tried using a single realm impl., but with context specific
data lookup up using jndi. This doesn't work simply because the jndi
context factory is created with a different class loader, and thus
jndi.lookup() simply blocks the current thread running
Realm.authenticate().

--
- Torgeir