When using a pattern the uid value or whatever that people enter is
substituted into the pattern to generate the dn - users are not expected to
enter the full dn. Search is needed however when the attribute whose value
is entered by the user is not a component of the dn, or when users are held
in the directory under more than one node.

I agree that when a directory is used for authentication it is usually safe
to assume that the entered value is a unique identifier for an entry. An
exception might arise though when users are held under multiple nodes -
e.g. people are held under organisational units, and some people are
employed by more than one unit.