i would guess the problems you are running into are related to .pl file
types not being associated with the perl executable.  what distribution
of perl are you using?  it's been a while... but the last time i
installed perl on windows, i used the active state dist
(http://www.activestate.com/) and i believe the installer set up the
association.  generally, perl dist's on windows have at the very least a
script that will set up this association.  i suppose you could also
create the association yourself, by right-clicking on a .pl file,
selecting "Open with...", then selecting the perl exe and checking the
"Always use this program to open these files" checkbox.