Paul Speed at [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

> In another thread on this subject it was mentioned that someone was
> looking for a replacement to these tools.  I, too, poked around a
> little but it occurred to me that I don't even know what the specific
> requirements for such a tool are.
>
> Might be worth discussion.  Clearly both of the current tools have
> their problems.

Requirements?

- Parse C (and optionally C++)
- Derive documentation from JavaDoc style comments in sources
- Portable on any platform (no weird C++ code, Perl, Java, or ANSI-C)
- Maybe have a decent abstraction for the generated documentation
  (kinda like the Doclet thinghie in JavaDoc, maybe even reusing that)

Seems easy enough, but NOBODY ever thought about putting all those
toghether...

    Pier

BTW, I checked out ANTLR (as someone suggested, a parser generator) and
their GNU-C grammar, and the modification would be really huge, up to the
point that it might be worth rewriting a new grammar, only for the JavaDOC
style comments in source codes....