> Pier P. Fumagalli at [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:
>
> > This is the first set of modifications I made to the Catalina code to
allow
> > port < 1024 binding under Unix. Basically, I added an "initialize()"
method
> > to Server, Service and Connector, and that gets called appropriately
before
> > "start()". Now, the only thing left to do is to move the ServerSocket
> > creation within connectors in "initialize()", and launch Catalina with a
> > wrapper around the Service code I committed last week.
> >
> > Basically, during "load()" in service, we build the whole components
tree
> > and call "initialize()" on the Server. Then during "start()" and
"stop()" we
> > call the same methods in Server, and (in theory) the trick should be
done.

> > I'd need to modify Remy's BootstrapService and CatalinaService to
perform a
> > two-stage initialization process (and I don't know what JavaService, the
one
> > he's using under Windows does), but, more or less, that should be it...
> >
> > This patch actually starts fixing things, but doesn't break the build
> > neither compromises functionality (checked it already), but I would like
> > someone (Craig/Remy/Amy/Glenn...) to review it and, if ok, apply it...
> >
> > Cheers...
>
> Since no one commented, I'm just going to commit, and if there's something
> wrong, we can always roll back...

Hi Pier,

That sucks for you appartment :-((

Sorry, I've been in Santa Cruz friday, and then I forgot about your patch
(since I was soooo happy that we released b6 in a clean state).
So I didn't have a chance yet to complain about it ;-)

Actually, I think it's ok, esp since you didn't change the Container
interface (that would have been a lot of trouble).

Could you avoid the tabs next time ? Even Craig stopped it in TC 4.0 ;-)

Q: Is there Win32 code already somewhere ? The port 80 binding trick won't
mean much there, since the service is run by the System account by default
(ie, it has "more-than-root" privileges), although you can change that (I
don't know to which extent). If there is, does it use JNI ? JavaService is
really cool, because it makes Tomcat look like a normal native process.

Remy