[EMAIL PROTECTED] at [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

>> [ ] +1 - Do it, and I can help
>> [X] +0 - Do it, but I can't help
>> [ ] -0 - Do it, even if....
>> [ ] -1 - Don't do it, because ....
>>
>> My comments:
>
> If we do so ( create the service workspace ), can we also check in the
> existing service ( the one that was used in the last year or so for tomcat
> 3.3 ) ? It has the benefit that it works with JDK1.1 ( or anything else,
> as it's using exec instead of jni ) ( it needs a bit of customization,
> i.e. replace few #defines, to start anything ).
>
> We also need to update the documentations of jk_service, to mention that
> we now have 2 service starters to choose from.

I'm -1 on that... The service code I'm building, and the one coming with mod
jk are completely different, they don't even share the same Java interfaces.

The service code that currently is parked under Tomcat 4.0 is more-or-less a
complete solution to Operating-Systems daemons written in Java, and that
package tries to solve several problems (not just running tomcat as a
service in Win32), including (but not limited to) binding to port <1024
under Java while running the VM process as user nobody...

    Pier