My CVS commit message bounced (>100k), but I have converted the existing
"functional specs" documents (under catalina/docs/dev/xdocs) into the new
document format.  I also added Rob's initial "introduction" document so
people can see how it fits in with what we've got so far.  A snapshot of
the current doc tree (new format) is:

  http://jakarta.apache.org/tomcat/tomcat-4.0-doc/exp/

If you are using the jakarta-tomcat-4.0 source repository, you will also
note that I modified the way that the XSLT stylesheet is processed.  The
"conventional" approach to having a "project.xml" file loaded inside the
stylesheet is just not very scalable, because the filename is interpreted
relative to where the stylesheet is, not where the related documents are.

To get around this, I modified the pages in tomcat-docs to insert the
project.xml file directly in each page:

  <?xml version="1.0"?>
  <!DOCTYPE document [
    <!ENTITY project SYSTEM "project.xml">
  ]>
  <document>

    &project;

  </document>

At the moment, the stylesheet being used is actually in the tomcat-docs
top-level directory (and referenced globally so that there's only one
place to make changes.  Ultimately, this stylesheet should live somewhere
separately if it is going to be shared -- but there's a bug in the <style>
tag of Ant 1.3 that *always* treats the path to the stylesheet as
relative, even if you try to use an absolute one.  This is supposed to be
fixed in Ant 1.4.

Craig