On Wed, 26 Sep 2001, Dave Oxley wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> A couple of questions on future Tomcat releases:
>
> 1. Will there be a TC3.4 release or is 3.x obsolete after 3.3?

AFAIK there is no plan for a 3.4 release after 3.3 - that doesn't mean 3.x
will be obsolete, just that the core is now stable and unlikely to
change, except bugfixes.

Having a stable core is essential for module development and for enhancing
the current set of modules. Even if there are many improvements we can add
to 3.3, I believe the benefit of keeping 3.3 stable is far bigger.

It is not yet decided how we'll release the new modules, but the main
idea is to keep the 'base' version as small and clean as possible, and
all features to be 'add-ons', outside of the base distribution, and have
only bug fixes in 3.3.x-releases.