Ben Sifuentes at [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

> I looked at the mocked up admin tool and didn't see anything for setting up
> virtual hosts configurations.

Yeah, it's not _that_ easy to find out... Click and select "Service" on the
left, and then there's a drop-down combo on the right with "Actions"... It's
in there...

But IMO, all that part is wrong because a virtual host is (should) be
defined as the merger of "host" and "port", which currently all web servers
support, but TC40... The selection of the virtual host should be made
(according to RFC-2616), on this dual selector, section 14.23 says:

  The Host request-header field specifies the Internet host and port
  number of the resource being requested [...] This allows the origin
  server or gateway to differentiate between internally-ambiguous URLs,
  such as the root "/" URL of a server for multiple host names on a
  single IP address.

    Host = "Host" ":" host [ ":" port ] ; Section 3.2.2

  A "host" without any trailing port information implies the default
  port for the service requested (e.g., "80" for an HTTP URL). [...]

  A client MUST include a Host header field in all HTTP/1.1 request
  messages . If the requested URI does not include an Internet host
  name for the service being requested, then the Host header field
  MUST be given with an empty value. [...]

  All Internet-based HTTP/1.1 servers MUST respond with a 400 (Bad
  Request) status code to any HTTP/1.1 request message which lacks a
  Host header field. [...]

So, how do I read it? Host MUST be there in HTTP, Host represents the
virtual server, Host is made up of name:port, and if port is not there, it
is defaulted to 80.

The selection of the virtual host, then MUST be done in terms of the joint
value "host:port", and this is not present in Catalina, as the selection is
made only in terms of the first value, the host name, completely
disregarding the port value, unless, of course, you don't start ANOTHER
<Service> with another <Connector> and blablabla (you know where I'm ending
up to, don't you?)...

So, the current implementation is (IMO) not conformant to the HTTP spec, and
to just be more clear, try presenting Catalina with an HTTP request not
containing the header:

# telnet localhost 8080
Trying 127.0.0.1...
Connected to localhost.