On Sat, 8 Dec 2001, Bojan Smojver wrote:

> [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:
> >
> > To clarify - this is not a replacement or an 'exclusive' mechanism.
> > The 'ajp14' based config, where tomcat sends notifications to apache
> > remains.
>
> Seems like I was reinventing the wheel there for a while. So AJP14 knows
> how configure itself from the running Tomcat... Pretty cool in my book!

Yes, Henri has added quite a bit of code for that. I did few changes to
make the 'autoconf' usable with other workers and more 'exposed' - see
jk_webapp, jk_uriEnv.

And this will remain and will be enhanced - we want tomcat to be able to
send notifications like 'webapp reload' or 'webapp down', etc.

Or the reverse - apache to send this to the workers in the farm (
assuming a 'central' tomcat or after a soft restart of apache ).

The major problems and why I don't think this can be the only way:
- it requires tomcat to be started

- it's not very clear how it'll work for a complex case ( many workers,
some apps replicated, some not ). It's hard to imagine how to do that in
general, having it automated and on the wire is too much.

- it's hard to 'tune'. I think we are at an early stage, where we still
learn how people are using tomcat/apache. With few scripts you can do a
lot - like rsync webapps/, generate 'native' configs, insert special
settings.

> > The problems with 'tomcat sending config info to apache' ( and why I
> > would not make that the 'default' simple config ):
> >
> > 1. It requires a strict startup sequence ( tomcat before apache ).
> > Otherwise, if tomcat is not started apache will respond '404' for
> > what it doesn't recognize, instead of 'temporary unavailable' or 'context
> > is down'. This can be very problematic for users ( who'll assume the url
> > is wrong instead of try again later ).
>
> This is easily achieved (that's how I run my boxes) through the startup
> script when both Apache and Tomcat are on the same box. I call this
> thing 'was' -> Web Application Server. Here is the sample (RH Linux
> 7.0):

On a complex site, Apache will probably server more that java pages - and
talk with more than a single tomcat.

Having a file-hierarchy based system can allow delegation ( change the
permissions on a dir and let a group manage an application/vhosts ), etc.
Things that would be hard to do if we rely only on a wire protocol ( or at
least hard to do in the next 2-3 months, after we gain more experience I'm
sure we can do it )