Hi to all,

I want to propose a new packaging policy for Tomcat,
3.2/3.3/4.0 RPMs.

Up to now, the Tomcat RPM which are built from the source
present in jakarta site and include the binary jars present
in the source tarball.

To respect the general RPM packaging method (Mandrake,
Redhat, Suse and others), and more generally packaging
policies from Debian group, I wish to remove the use
of included jar and use the jar for the other required RPM.

In tomcat 3.2.x case.

* servletapi3-3.2.4 will provide servlet-2.2.jar in /usr/share/java

* tomcat3-3.2.4 will provide webserver.jar and jasper.jar

* xml parser will be grabbed from the one found on our system
  and following the jpackage project, I'll make use of jaxp_parser.jar
  which live in /usr/share/java and which is a symlink on a real
  XML parser like, xerces-j (xerces.jar), crimson (crimson.jar), xml4j
  (xml4j.jar), all of this living in /usr/share/java.

servlet.jar and xml_parser.jar won't be copied from /usr/share/java
but will use symlink .

ln -s /usr/share/java/servlet-2.2.jar /var/tomcat/lib/servlet.jar
ln -s /usr/share/java/xml_parser.jar /var/tomcat/lib/xml_parser.jar

In Tomcat 3.3 case, it will be similar expect I'll add also xalan.jar
which is present in xalan-j RPM (2.1.0 today).

In Tomcat 4.0 case, we'll make use also of jmx, jndi and tyrex, which all
live in the respective RPM. Tomcat 4.0 will also make use of servletapi4,
which provide /usr/share/java/servlet-2.3.jar

JSSE is a special case, since it's not mandatory but may be installed in
tomcat lib dirs if detected at install time (thanks to comment this
automatic
installation)

As such, all the needed RPM will be provided as source and binary (noarch)
in distrib directory so users will have everything necessary to use the RPM.

This refactory is part of a job conducted on jpackage,
http://jpackage.sourceforge.net/, which is a project to provide a
full RPM distribution of usual java applications and libraries.

All the major jakarta.apache.org and xml.apache.org projects are
available at jpackage, making the dependencies easier to handle.

Nota that jpackage make extensive use of xml, xml -> spec translator,
ant (building) and rpm (for packaging).

Thanks to give your opinion.

Regards

-