I'm getting close with jk2, there are just few more details I need to
resolve ( and then test, update the other server adapters, test again,
etc).

One change I'm making to get the things cleaner refers to the login and
discovery protocol.

Instead of a RPC-style, where Apache sends a command and read the
response, I would use the same 'style' as for requests, where apache sends
a messages and then listen and dispatch other messages.

A single message 'PING' will be used. This message will give control to
tomcat ( like SEND_REQUEST does ). Tomcat can then decide what it wants -
if it wants auth, it'll send LOGIN_SEED message and expect the result (
like it sends GET_CHUNK when reading post data ).

Tomcat could also decide to push config data, or context status, etc.

The same code will also handle config/status messages comming during
normal operations.

This will make the code extremely simple and clear ( at least IMHO ),
and we'll gain a lot of flexibility ( and that just by _removing_ code ).

I'll commit the code after some more testing, I'm pretty sure it's a good
idea, but I want some feedback ( especially from Henri, who wrote most of
the discovery and login code ).