As appealing an idea as this sounds (packaging plug-in modules as
webapps), it doesn't solve the underlying issue -- different containers
have radically different internal architectures, and packaging the plug-in
as webapp doesn't avoid having to deal with that.  You still have to
bridge the architectural differences for "installing" the plug-in
functionality in the container, using container-specific APIs.

To be successful at bridging this gap, you've really only got a couple of
choices:

* Create an external common API for things that are not architecture
  dependent (like web connectors) that a container can choose to
  support or not support, and don't bother trying to standardize
  things that are radically different between architectures (for
  example, RequestInterceptor vs. Valve, or the very different
  concepts of how the core components of the container are organized).

* Create a meta-architecture (via a set of common APIs) that all
  containers must support -- never mind that it might mandate doing
  things in a totally different way than any existing container.

IMHO, the latter option is not practical.  Packaging plug-in functionality
as a web app does nothing to help resolve the basic issue that containers
are different on the inside.  And, if you went to the effort to do this,
you'd spend your time more efficiently by just creating a container
conforming to those APIs and be done with it.

Oh wait ... we've already done that ... twice :-).  That seems entirely
sufficient to me.

Craig