Craig

After a long delay, I'm looking at your proposed functional spec for the
Tomcat 4 JNDI Realm, and am having trouble with this excerpt from the
"Adminstrator Login Mode Functionality" section:

 > The following approaches should be supported [ for retrieving the roles
associated with an authenticated user ]

 > Retrieve a specified attribute (possibly multi-valued) from an LDAP
search expression, with a replacement placeholder
 > for the DN or username of the user.[Current]
 >
 > Retrieve a set of role names that are defined implicitly (by selecting
principals that match a search pattern) rather
 > than explicitly (by finding a particular attribute value). [Requested]

The existing code certainly implements the first approach, which I assume
could be rephrased as

Retrieve the values of a specified attribute from all directory entries
matching an LDAP search filter expression. The search expression is
constructed by substituting the user's DN and/or username into a string
pattern specified as the roleSearch configuration property.

However I guess I don't understand what you mean by the second approach. Do
you have a specific example? I would have thought that the current approach
covers all use cases (although admittedly the implementation may not be
optimal for the special case in which role names are held explicitly as the
values of an attribute in the user's directory entry).

Cheers, John.