Actually I got jasper source code and recompiled with some logging and
I've solved it.  The jasper engine when parsing the is searching the
custom tags end tag.

Ex:

    <t:hasContent name='test' >

        <t:getContent name='test' />

    </t:hasContent >

However because I had a space between hasContent and the ">" jasper did
not find it because

    org.apache.jasper.compiler.JspReader.skipUntil()

is actually looking for <.t:hasContent>.  No space between hasContent
and the ">".

I would have to say that it should probably search for </t:hasContent
with no ">" appended to end?

--ekiM