On Thu, 31 Jan 2002, Oto Buchta wrote:

> Date: Thu, 31 Jan 2002 14:58:48 +0100
> From: Oto Buchta <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
> To: Tomcat Developers List <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
> Subject: Re: shell connector
>
> Dne pá 11. leden 2002 15:05 Armijn Hemel napsal(a):
>
> > I'll give a small example of a use I see. To manage servlerts in my Tomcat
> > instance I don't want to use the web (I'm a console guy and lynx is not my
> > favourite webbrowser). I'd rather use a shell like tool to control the
> > server. As in, use ls (or dir, whatever you prefer) to see all webapps and
> > use small commands like `stop <webapp>'.

In the nightly builds of Tomcat 4, there are some custom Ant tasks
available that interact with the Manager webapp.  Among other things,
these tasks give you scriptable control over installing, reloading, and
removing webapps.

In the version of the docs included with the nightly build, these are
documented on the "Manager App How-To" page, and in the Application
Developer's Guide.

  http://localhost:8080/tomcat-docs/manager-howto.html
  http://localhost:8080/tomcat-docs/appdev/

Now, you can say things like "ant install" or "ant reload", either from
the command line or in a shell script, and the corresponding manager
commands will be executed immediately.

Although the Ant tasks are not shipped with Tomcat 4.0.x, they should be
compatible with it -- simply install the "server/lib/catalina-ant.jar"
file from a current nightly build into your $ANT_HOME/lib directory to
make them available.

Craig