>> I don't know if the Eclipse configuration allows you to
>> specify -D<prop>=<value> in Tomcat's startup.  If it does,
>> I think a lot of this can be done in Tomcat 3.3.1 using
>> parameter substitution.  I have used in server.xml
>>
>>     <Http10Connector port="${http.port}" ... />
>>
>> and included
>>
>>     -Dhttp.port=8080
>>
>> in the startup command to make server.xml runtime
>> configurable.  Would this approach work for you?
>> If so, perhaps it would desirable to add this feature
>> to Tomcat 4.x.
>>

>That seems like a very reasonable approach.

Yes, very good as it will ease the plugin tuning,
everything works fine right now with tomcatpluginv8
for Tomcat 3.3.1-dev

But more generally it will help people who want
to launch multiples tomcat instances from .bat/shell
commands....

It should be suffisant in a first and basic approach
to override listen ports.

And of course we could still use a custom server.xml
which could be generated dynamically :

for TC 3.3

java -Dtomcat.home="$TOMCAT_HOME" \
     org.apache.tomcat.startup.Main start -config /var/site1/server.xml

for TC 4.0 (thanks to correct errors)

java -Djava.endorsed.dirs="$JAVA_ENDORSED_DIRS"
      -classpath "$CLASSPATH" \
      -Dcatalina.base="$CATALINA_BASE" \
      -Dcatalina.home="$CATALINA_HOME" \
      -Djava.io.tmpdir="$CATALINA_TMPDIR" \