I am opening the discussion in [EMAIL PROTECTED], if you don't
mind.  I think there are others who may be interested in the topic.

jasper2 is in jakarta-tomcat-jasper.  You'll need to build jakarta-tomcat-4.0
first, and then jasper2.  It just drops the jar files into tomcat build area.
Ignore jasper34 in that branch.

Be warned that jasper2 is still under development, so it's quality is not
release product quality yet.  Also, it generates pretty much the same code
as tomcat 4.x, for now; so expect comparable performance.  Of course we'll
need to change that!  :-)

It's great that you are doing performance evaluation for different versions
of tomcat.  Can your jstl run in tc3 and tc4 without change?  Can we
separated performance attributed to containers as opposed to those attributed
to jasper?  For those jasper performance, how can we identify the most
profitable improvements that we should do?

- kin-man