On Wed, 17 Apr 2002, jean-francois jestin wrote:

> Date: Wed, 17 Apr 2002 15:44:13 +0200
> From: jean-francois jestin <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
> To: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
> Subject: sip servlet API
>
> Hello Guys,
>
> As you know, Anders Kristensen as leader of the JSR 116, the SIP Servlet
> expert group, is currently defining a new servlet API : the Sip Servlet API
> : http://jcp.org/jsr/detail/116.jsp.
>
> I would like to know if someone involved in the tomcat 4 design have already
> had a look to this specification and have ideas about the way to support
> such servlets in Tomcat.
>
> Does current Tomcat 4 architecture support such servlet (with of course some
> specific component development and in particular a sip connector) ? or such
> servlets support need a complete refactoring of current tomcat architecture
> ?

I had some early-on mail conversations with some of the folks interested
in this, but haven't seen the recent specs.  In principle, the Catalina
architecture should work for this purpose, with the probable need to
provide customized implementations of org.apache.catalina.Connector and
org.apache.catalina.Context.  In practice, how easy or difficult this is
depends a lot on how different SIP is from HTTP, and/or how different the
internal APIs are to the existing servlet API.  I suspect it will probably
tend towards the "easy" end of the scale.

Craig McClanahan