Here is the text from the readme.txt in the jre directory of an sdk install for
java 1.3.1_003:

  *               Notice of New Redistribution Options                 *
  *                                                                    *
  * Beginning October 17, 2001, it is permissable to redistribute      *
  * the "javac" compiler with the Java 2 Runtime Environment (JRE).    *
  * See the Sun Binary Code License and this README for terms          *
  * and conditions.  Items that have been added to the section         *
  * in this README entitled "Redistribution of Java 2 SDK files"       *
  * are:                                                               *
  *                                                                    *
  * bin/javac.exe  (Microsoft Windows)                                 *
  * bin/javac and bin/i386/native_threads/javac (Linux and Solaris IA) *
  * bin/javac and bin/sparc/native_threads/javac  (Solaris SPARC)      *
  * lib/tools.jar  (all platforms)                                     *
  *                                                                    *
  * These files include the Java 2 SDK tools classes, including        *
  * the classes for the "javac" compiler.                              *
  *                                                                    *
  * Additionally, on Microsoft Windows platforms it is now             *
  * permissible to redistribute the Java HotSpot Server VM (also       *
  * known as "C2") with the Microsoft Windows version of the           *
  * JRE. (C2 is already included with the JREs for Linux and the       *
  * Solaris(TM) operating environment.)  Items that have been added    *
  * to the section on "Redistribution of Java 2 SDK files" are:        *
  *                                                                    *
  * jre/bin/server/jvm.dll                                             *
  * jre/bin/server/Xusage.txt                                          *
  *                                                                    *

Bojan Smojver wrote:

> Not sure, to be perfectly honest. Maybe some of the other developer can
> answer that properly.
>
> Bojan
>
> On Tue, 2002-04-23 at 23:50, Duncan McLean wrote:
>
>>Didn't Sun recently (with-in the last few months) free up the license on
>>tool.jar? It was my understanding that that jar file was the reason that you
>>need a jdk instead of a jre (for the compiler housed in tools.jar that is). I'm
>>not sure about the specifics of the license now, but couldn't tools.jar just be
>>put into the installer so a jre would be sufficient?
>>
>>Bojan Smojver wrote:
>>

>>>Maybe because TC compiles JSP's into classes and it needs javac for that, which
>>>is probably not part of the JRE.
>>>
>>>Bojan

>>>For additional commands, e-mail: <mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
>>>

>>--
>>Duncan McLean
>>Hummingbird Ltd.
>>613-548-4355 x1539