I've bumped into some problems with out of memory when using
StingCharacterIterator on IBM's JDK 1.3.0 and 1.3.1 for Linux (I don't
use other platforms, so I don't know if it's platform specific). The
piece of code that worked fine suddenly caused problems. The JVM would
run out of memory (I use TC 3.3.x). I've changed that code since to use
arrays, and all is cool. I'm mentioning this just in case you have
similar stuff in your code and similar JVM.

I would definitely try to give the JVM a bit more memory (if you have
some available), since this could be just a plain lack of memory when
the JVM needs more. If you use sessions, there is going to plenty of
stuff hanging around before the sessions die by timeout. And that could
be eating the memory. And finally and most importantly - I found that
most of the problems in my applications (I also use servlets, but with
Velocity) are caused by me, not by Tomcat. So, inspecting your code for
potential memory leaks, increased logging to figure out what the apps
were doing when the problem happens might help too.

It might be worthwhile downloading the latest released version of TC 4
too, but since I don't follow the development of TC 4, I'm not sure if
any bugs related to memory leaks have been fixed recently.

Bojan