On Thu, 2 May 2002, Shane Redlick wrote:

> Date: Thu, 2 May 2002 15:50:41 -0700
> From: Shane Redlick <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
> To: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
> Subject: creating a custom StandardServer
>
> Hello,
>
> Does anyone know of anyone thats made a custom catalina server?  I have
> some SOAP services that Im currently running in tomcat, but I would like
> to avoid the overhead of the full tomcat implementation and create
> something basic for the purpose of publishing SOAP services only.
>
> Any links or downloads would be appreciated.

One approach would be to use the "embedded server" mechanism to start up
Tomcat inside your own server application.  In the jakarta-tomcat-4.0
source repository, see the source code of the class
"org.apache.catalina.startup.Embedded" -- there is a dummy main() method
at the bottom that illustrates how you can set up a very simple servlet
container environment without needing to parse server.xml or anything like
that.

> Thanks in advance,
>
> Shane.

Craig