[EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:
> On Fri, 21 Jun 2002, Nicola Ken Barozzi wrote:
>

>>Remy, I hear you.
>>Current Avalon is what you say.
>>Next Avalon will be what it was supposed to be in the first place.
>

> I think next avalon should start by looking for a problem to solve
> before proposing the solution to all the problems :-)

We have a charter.

> And it should start looking at what APIs are already used ( JMX,
> JNDI, etc ).

We know them.

Phoenix is MBean compatible (baxter is currently being put in
Commons-sandbox), JNDI is not incompatible with Avalon, since Avalon
itself has no alternative to give for it; excalibur even has a "naming"
package for it.

>>>Also, most of the utility provided by Avalon are available from the
>>>commons without any string attached, and/or are of a better quality.
>>
>>Utilities provided by Avalon are lifecycle management and component
>>reusability+management.
>

> I don't think we have problems with the lifecycle management or
> component management ( for the last JMX seems to solve the problem ).

I never said you have a problem.
But since you are redesigning, I would think you would consider using
the "Java Apache Server Framework" which Avalon is.

As commons is a common package repo, Avalon should be the common server
framework.

James runs on it, Cocoon soon, Turbine is working on it, we have an FTP
server, HSQLDB, FOP component, POI component in the works...

>>Could you kindly summarize the things that Avalon needs to do before you
>>would even consider taking it in consideration as a framework?
>
> I suppose finding the problem to solve would be a good first step.

This project goals are:
 >  - Design and documentation of the Java Apache Server Framework.
 >  - Creation and implementation of this framework
 >    (interfaces, abstract classes, and shared modules).
 >  - Centralized management of the evolution/fixing/patching
 >    of both the shared code and the framework design.

We are reorganizing to refocus on our original goal, and become more
tight focused.

             - verba volant, scripta manent -