[EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

> > >As far as I can remember it was voted -1...
> >
> > What about TC 5.0 with HA capability ?
>
> TC5.0 will have a 'higher availability' then 4.1 which is better
> than 4.0. Same goes for 3.3 versus 3.2, and so on.

[snip]

> Well, I know quite a few people who managed to get tomcat in
> production on a variety of sites ( including very large loads).

I run Tomcat on 20 or so production web sites, with volumes in the
2/3 million hits per day mark. I've been running Tomcat since march
2000, starting with 3.2.1.

I think with a little of involvment it is easy to set up a high
availability environment using Apache/Tomcat and maybe hardware load
balancers. Maybe what is missing is a good tutorial on such a setup.
Maybe I could start thinking about writing something about our setup. We
came up with neat tricks to handle live application upgrade and this
sort of things. I don't know where this could fit in but it is
definitely the kind of HOWTO that could be good for the spread of Tomcat
on production environments.

As for the pure servlet speed Tomcat can deliver, from what I see
everyday, the bottleneck is usually in the data tier and not in the
application server, so this is a purely sterile debate in my opinion.

Just my 2 cents of euro worth.

Mathias.