Well, there was no comments on my previous mail, so I've build a patch
and I'm sending it for review.

1. channel_socket implements two new options:
        a) keepalive=On or Off -- sets the socket SO_KEEPALIVE option
(default Off -> disabled)
        b) timeout=nn (seconds) -- send/recv timeout (default 0 ->
unlimited)

2. channel_apr_socket implements two new options:
        a) keepalive=On or Off -- sets the socket SO_KEEPALIVE option
(default Off -> disabled)
        b) timeout=nn (seconds) -- send/recv timeout (default 2 seconds,
IMO should be 0*)

* The apr_socket timeout is now set to 2 seconds (copy from
apr/test/client.c ?) should be set to 0 (unlimited), cause sometimes the
2 second timeout is too small for busy servers.

Example config:

[channel.socket:localhost:8009]
info=Ajp13 forwarding over socket
debug=0