Quoting [EMAIL PROTECTED]:

> On 22 Jul 2002, Bojan Smojver wrote:
>
> > If there is no physical file, then nothing will get done by the patch
> at
> > all (since r->finfo.filetype is 0). It won't affect mod_dir's old
> > behaviour at all. I'm not sure how that changes things...
>
> My question was: if you have a precompiled index.jsp, there will be
> no file - only a <servlet-map> with uri=/index.jsp and the servlet
> name.
>
> DirectoryIndex will not find index.jsp, and will assume there
> is no index - and serve the dir. Which is wrong.

Which is how it used to be in the old code anyway. And that means that
DirectoryIndex should not be used if you don't have physical files in the right
places (with the current patch level in mod_jk 1.2.x for Apache 2) or in virtual
places (with the future code, that you're proposing, which will be capable of
asking TC about such files).

> The indexes as defined by the servlet spec may be real files
> or virtual (mapped) resources.
>
> > I guess I was aiming at this:
> >
> > - if all files are physical and local, then mod_dir and
> DirectoryIndex
> > are fine and make sense
>
> If you can make sure that all paths are checked for both static and
> mapped resources - yes, you can use mod_dir.

OK, if you want to write something along those lines, I have no problems with
that. It's best of both worlds in that case. I'm guessing that you'd have to ask
TC if there are files out there that match, right? Because this is not a real
request (not in jk_map_to_storage() anyway), but 'what if', jk_handler() doesn't
get called, so it would have to be done in some other way.

> > - if all files are not physical and local, mod_dir and
> DirectoryIndex don't make sense and should not be used
>
> I don't think this is an issue we should discuss - this case is
> already solved, if no files on the apache machine there is nothing we can
> do but forward.
>
> The lb case is also not an issue - if there are local static files,
> apache can serve them - and dynamic resources are handled by tomcat
> lb.

That sounds good to me.

Bojan

PS. Note that mod_jk 1.2.0 doesn't use DocumentRoot as the base for the request
any more (that was clearly a bug). I fixed that this morning. I have not done
any changes to mod_jk2.