On 22 Jul 2002, Bob Herrmann wrote:

> That is an interesting idea, although in my particular case, I walk
> the stack a variable amount. Namely if the stack has method "log()" or
> method "internalLog()" I keep unrolling the stack - this may not be
> a great idea - but it gives good stack traces without changing
> other parts of tomcat.

We'll walk a variable ammount as well - until the first class after
wrapperClass ( i.e. we look for the caller of a method in wrapperClass ).

I don't think supporting wrappers which are wrapped by
other wrappers is a goal :-)

Wrapping commons-logging ( which is a wrapper ) as a transition
mechanism should be enough.

> If a webapp wants to use its own logger wrapper, and the factory
> has a single attribute - would there be a conflict here?

That may be a problem. I'm not worried about webapps ( they
shouldn't play with logger-wrapping :-), but about jasper
which may want to wrap as well.

There is a solution tough - add all the 'wrapperClass'
passed to the factory to list, and check for any of them
when we un-wrap the stack. This will allow an unlimited number
of wrappers - as long as one wrapper doesn't call another wrapper
that wraps commons-logging, the wrapper.

We should just use commons-logging - it is nice to have a
smooth transition, but this should be just that, I don't
think we should try to solve all the wrapping problems.