Costin,

After my last e-mail, I realized that there is one build dependency on
commons-launcher.jar in
jakarta-tomcat-catalina/catalina/src/share/org/apache/catalina/startup/CatalinaLaunchFilter.java.

The good news is that Tomcat's main() has no runtime dependency on this
class. It only has a build dependency because of the source directory
that I put it in.

I will move the CatalinaLaunchFilter class to its own separate package
so that it can be easily excluded from the build if you are not using
the Launcher in your distribution.

Patrick

[EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:
> On Thu, 1 Aug 2002, Patrick Luby wrote:
>

>>Costin,
>>
>>Remy can probably comment on the commons-daemon.jar dependency. However,
>>the commons-launcher.jar dependency is required for the scripts in the
>>bin directory.
>

> Can you expand a bit ?
>
> Catalina itself should't depend on any of those - it should be possible
> to start it ( or embed it ) by just calling main().
>
> If we want to use commons-daemon or launcher - that's fine, but that
> shouldn't require deps - launcher or daemon can use introspection.
>
> My 'favorite' method of starting will be JMX - I know one application
> that will use ant tasks to start tomcat, etc. I see no reason to
> have hard deps on any of those.
>

> Costin
>

>>Patrick
>>
>>[EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:
>>
>>>Would it be possible to remove the dependency on Daemon ?
>>>
>>>I see no reason why Daemon couldn't use introspection to call
>>>start/stop/destroy.
>>>

>>>Costin
>>>

>>>--

Patrick Luby                     Email: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Sun Microsystems                         Phone: 408-276-7471
901 San Antonio Road, USCA14-303
Palo Alto, CA 94303-4900