Hi, all!

    Introduction: we have Windows 2000 running SUN JDK 1.4.0, Tomcat
4.0.4 and our software, that uses Struts and taglibs.

While requesting action from browser we have strange delays during whole
request-serving process. In a words, action (servlet) receives a
request, does some work, sends control to the JSP page, which prepares
resulting HTML page for browser. This JSP page has a lot of custom tags
instances (from jakarta-struts project and our own as well). Using debug
output (an old method - System.out.println(...) ) we realized, that
tomcat suddenly  "hangs" up for some time - every time in different
places of source code. Seems like it runs servlet (for less that 1
second), than makes some kind of preparing of JSP file (i think it's
enough to compile servlet from it just one time - but not everytime, as
we have) - for aproximately 5-6 seconds, and processes JSP page. The
very strange behavior aoccurs right there - custom tags may be
executed for 2,3,6 or even 10 seconds. In other time, after executing
part of JSP page, debug output stops, and continues after 2-3 seconds.

    On computer we have stopped all background services, it has 1GHz
Duron CPU and 512M RAM - so I think problem is not in hardware. May be
some tuning of Tmcat conf files will help - some kind of buffer sizes
etc. I couldn't find anything helpful not in server.xml, nor in web.xml
of application.
    I'll repeat, such delays always occurs while procxessing the JSP
page, almost every time - in different source location. But these delays
realy slows whole project - so ANY KIND OF HELP AND/OR SUGGESTIONS would
be taken in consideration with gratitude.

Dev Zero G team
http://devzerog.com