1) For me after ( another ) reading of rfc2616, from the point you named
and following the references given there, i've found that in 5.2 seems
to say that a empty Host: header must be responded by 400 because empty
it is not a valid Host name..

2) Checked Apache2 and it gives a 200 when issuing a GET / with empty
Host:, at it replies a 200.

I think your problem is related to issuing a 30X after a request with
empty Host: header?, well it's really a border case...

One never can assure if a Location header will have correct information,
because is mandated to follow a filled Host hdr if present, sending a
301 with a guessed Host name in the Location, shouldnt be the worst
solution to the problem..

I dont know how to make apache2 (anyone?) issue a unconditional redirect
(301) after a request, but i suspect that if the Host Header is empty in
such a request, it will try to form a correct Location header from the
information it has at hand ( ServerName and his own local port), with
Firewalls and NATs possibily an incorrect one? maybe..

In a vote, i would vote to make Tomcat issue a 400 in case of a empty
Host header..

Saludos ,
Ignacio J. Ortega