AFAIK jakarta-servletapi is considered a separate project - no idea why
and how.

I think it's the PMC who can decide about this - a project can't vote to
get commit access to a different project.

I have no idea how this was set up - but in any case you have my +1
on changing access, and if this is rejected you have my +1 on
moving examples in an accessible place.

Costin