Hi,
"The state of the server process" can be many things.  It can be the
server process is alive, it can be that the host/port respond to
requests, and it can be that your app is actually available for work.
All of these can be checked in various ways.

Which one were you interested in?  What would be your ideal solution?

One idea is, if you have any startup servlets or context listeners, have
them write our a file in a specific location or a message to some log.
Then have the process that starts the web browser poll, checking for the
existence of this file or this message in the log.

Another one is to use a 3rd tool, e.g. a JMS server, where you could
send a message from your server to a queue, and have your java app wait
for that message before starting the browser...

You get my drift: there are many many ways to do this ;)  Were you
looking for an internal tomcat feature?

Yoav Shapira
Millennium ChemInformatics

Tomcat
>server and a web browser.  I don't want the web
>browser to start up until the Tomcat server is running, but I don't
want to
>put in an arbitrary sleep time between starting
>the server and starting the web browser.  Is there a way that I can
query
>the state of the server process?
>
>OS : Windows 2000 Professional
>JDK/JRE : 1.4.0_01
>Tomcat : 4.0
>
>Thanks for your time,
>Terry
>
>--
>[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
>For additional commands, e-mail: <mailto:tomcat-dev-
>[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

and notify the sender.  Thank you.