On September 6, 2002 05:57 am, [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:
> How can [I] configure TomCat to accept HTTP and HTTPS traffic at the same
> port (80)? Is it necessary that it should be in two different ports?

[This level of discussion belongs on tomcat-users, not here].

Think of a port number as similar to a telephone extension number within
a company. What happens if two people answer the same phone line
at the same time? They both say "Hello, [Robin,Joe]" at the same time.
Chaos, babel, ensues. Similarly, only one thread - either
an HTTP connector **OR** an HTTPS connector can answer and read
from a given port number. Not both.

There is, however, a facility for Tomcat to send a redirect from the HTTP
port to the HTTPS port; see the comments about the "redirect" attribute
in the distributed server.xml