Tomcat developers-

I am starting up a new JSR on an API for invoking a Java Language compiler from within
a Java program.  A draft of the JSR proposal is enclosed.  This API would be very
useful
anywhere a Java program will want to invoke the Java Compiler, for example ANT
rebuilds,
Java Server Pages, or anywhere an application wants to turn a small snippet of Java
code
into a Class efficiently.  In addition, this API calls for the compiler to provide
dependency information after compiling, which would help support incremental rebuilds.

I am in the process of gathering support for this JSR to help it along the initial
stages
of the Java Community Process.  Your comments are most welcome.

Regards,
Neal Gafter