Alexander Leyke wrote:

> Costin Manolache wrote:
>
>>In jk2 we use ajp13 for all channels, including JNI. That allows us to
>>reuse the buffers and avoid object allocations from C - which improves a
>>lot the performance of the code ( we also avoid a lot of expensive calls,
>>etc ). Same technique is also used (AFAIK) in mozilla bridge.
>>

> Do you mean "ajp13" channel would work with in-process worker?

Ajp13 protocol ( marshalling, etc ) is used for in-process communication
and out of process communication. By marshalling the data we avoid some
expensive and complex JNI operations, and benefit of all optimizations
done on java side ( and the code is simpler ).

The worker_jni code is just used to start tomcat in-process, but not
for request forwarding.

The JNI channel is special because it is single-threaded ( a doors channel
will use the same type of code ), and that has some implications in
how the request is processed - but the data encoding is the same.

> Let me rephrase my initial question. I am interested in Tomcat executing
> in-process. If JNI worker cannot be used, what alternative do I have to
> run Tomcat in-process? Is JNI worker permanently out or will be
> re-enabled in the future (what's the timetable?)

The JNI worker is working for IIS and Apache2, I see no reason why it won't
work with AOLserver. ( I suppose you're aware of the jk1 AOLserver connector
- it also used JNI, so you shouldn't have any major problems )

Just get the socket to work ( it's easier to debug the server-specific
code), then enable the jni channel and worker.

> In case I am out-of luck with in-process Tomcat <g>, what is the highest
> performance alternative for a Web server to talk to Tomcat 4?

You could use unix channel. Or ( if on solaris ) implement a doors channel
( most of the tricks for making it work are already done for JNI - i.e.
single threaded communication ).