----- Original Message -----
From: "Hans Schmid" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: "Tomcat Developers List" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Sent: Saturday, December 07, 2002 9:03 AM
Subject: AW: [VOTE] minimal JSR 154 only distribution

> Hi,
>
> I would like to have the possibility to not include jasper in our
production
> system.
>
> We are using TC 3.3.2-dev plus Velocity.
>
> It does not really hurt us, but having fewer code is always better IHMO :)
> I really love the modularity og TC 3.3.x
>
> Bill, can you give me hints, how to patch TC 3.3.2-dev to exclude jasper ?

If you remove JspInterceptor from server.xml in TC 3.3.2-dev (or even
3.3.1), Tomcat will no longer understand anything about JSPs.  In this case,
it will be a Servlet-only container.

http://www.mail-archive.com/tomcat-dev@jakarta.apache.org/msg34720.html.

http://www.mail-archive.com/tomcat-dev@jakarta.apache.org/msg35116.html

http://www.mail-archive.com/tomcat-dev@jakarta.apache.org/msg35119.html.

http://www.mail-archive.com/tomcat-dev@jakarta.apache.org/msg34768.html.

> > > In my humble opinion, in terms of technology, it is not imperative
that
> > > Servlet should go with JSP. In fact, the mother of Tomcat, JServ also
> > > started as a Servlet engine. In other words, Servlet technology itself
> > > is independent one. It also implies that Java Web developers have
> > > freedom of choosing dynamic page generation technology over Servlet.
We
> > > can say we have right to use JSP, but on the other hand, we have right
> > > not to use JSP in purely technical perspective.
> > >
> > > However, I totally agree on the need that we deliver JSP equipped
Tomcat
> > > for the majority of Tomcat users who are very familiar with JSP (even
> > > cannot live without JSP like me :-). I guess the problem is "Who will
do
> > > (or exactly speaking, be willing to do) the job, i.e. making
> > > Servlet-only-Tomcat since we need a considerable number of Tomcat
> > > committers (Costin said 3) for that. If we get wide support from
Tomcat
> > > committers but they can't afford the job, how about gathering
> > > Servlet-only-Tomcat team whether they belong to committers or not? I
> > > hope there would be many people who will volunteer for that, including
> > > myself. The detailed processes respecting the work could be discussed
> > > from now on, and this chance might be a new attempt to develop greater
> > > Tomcat empowered by volunteers.
> > >
> > > Thanks in advance.
> > > IAS
> > >
> > > ===========================================================
> > > Lee, Changshin (Korean name)
> > > IAS (International name)
> > >                    Company Web Site: http://www.tmax.co.kr
> > >                    Personal Web Site: http://www.iasandcb.pe.kr
> > > Senior Researcher & Java Technology Evangelist
> > > JCP member - http://jcp.org/en/participation/members/L
> > > R&D Institute
> > > Tmax Soft, Inc.
> > > JCP member - http://jcp.org/en/participation/members/T