Tim Funk wrote:
Tomcat5 does not compile with JDK1.3. It does with JDK1.4.

There is only one line of code that prevents it from compiling with JDK1.3.
org.apache.catalina.loader.WebappClassLoader depends on File.toURI() which does not exist on jdk1.3.

I got around this by the performing the following:
OLD CODE:
return realFile.toURI().toURL();
NEW CODE
return new URL("file:" + realFile.toURL().getPath());

My patch also has some spurious stuff because my text editor automatically strips all trailing whitespace from lines and converts tabs to spaces. The important stuff is the last 9 lines of the patch file.
The patch is a bad idea. The change was made to fix RMI related problems.

What should be done is invoke the appropriate methods through reflection, catching any error (and defaulting to the old code if it fails).

Remy