Thanks.  The restored mod_jk behavior is the same as
Tomcat 3.3.x with <DecodeInterceptor ... safe="true"/>,
the default.  Unsafe escapes give 403's.  We can
add a similar option to mod_jk to turn off the checking.
Though, I can't image a situation where it would make
sense to accept the risks to gain access to these escapes.

Cheers,
Larry