From: news [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]]On Behalf Of Aditya
Sent: Friday, February 14, 2003 10:38 AM
To: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: tracking memory usage over time

I have the following JSP that I hit every 5 minutes and stuff the
returned values into a RRD (www.rrdtool.org) to measure the memory
(heap I presume) consumption of Tomcat over time. Is there a "better"
way, short of using JMX in the newer Tomcat builds, of doing this?

<%@ page language="java" %>
<%@ page session="false" %>
<%
        long free = java.lang.Runtime.getRuntime().freeMemory();
        long total = java.lang.Runtime.getRuntime().totalMemory();
        out.print(free + "|" + total + "|");
%>

I can see a clear leak (about 20 contexts with a dozen or so hit
constantly and recompiling JSPs very often) which necessitates (-Xmx
and -Xms set to 256 MB) a restart of Tomcat every 4 days or so (with
4.1.14). I just upgraded to 4.1.20 thinking that the constant
compiling was the source of the leak and that doesn't seem to have
made a difference. Running 4.1.14 under jprobe doesn't evidence any
leaks in our JSPs/filters.

Hints on how to trace this leak down would be most welcome.

Thanks,
Adi