Costin,

I will rebuild from HEAD now and give it a try.
But I think I may have sorted found the problem. I have changed the
Connector timeout to -1 in server.xml, and error 500's is no longer
returned.
Therefore on this box, mod_jk is too quick for Tomcat (I think).
mod_jk tries to connect and fails 3 times (before TC has restarted its
Connector threads) and returns an error 500 to the client.

Dave.