Costin Manolache wrote:
Amy Roh wrote:

[EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

amyroh 2003/03/10 19:25:52

 Modified:    catalina/src/share/org/apache/catalina/mbeans
                       MBeanFactory.java ServerLifecycleListener.java
 Log:
 Set to use JSR77 names as default.

Please make sure tomcat 5 is also updated.

Of course I was planning to do so. ;-)

Question:
Is there a way to get the service name from jsr77 context name? Currently, it's not included in its object name

We could expose it as an attribute if you need it ( short term ).

Don't ask me - I didn't wrote JSR77, just implemented it for tomcat :-)

The service name should just go away - we should stop using it in all names.
The DOMAIN in the JMX name should be identical with the Engine name and the service name.

The only purpose of service name is to allow multiple tomcat instances in
the same JVM. The only sane way to support this is by using a different JMX domain name for different instances.

In particular ( if you look at the mod_jk proxy ) it should be possible to
create proxies for remote tomcat instances - they would appear in the JMX
space as if they were engines in the same VM, so admin could work on a whole
cluster ( well, not easily - but doable ).

Having a Service name that is different from the Engine name doesn't make
sense IMO, it just creates confusion. Given that Service is not used in
Embeded, the name of the service shouldn't even matter - no code should
ever care or touch Server or Service interfaces, since the code would break
in Embeded. The only use of Service and Server should be in standalone,
when starting tomcat.

BTW, the use of the static field and ServerFactory is pretty bad IMO - in tomcat5 at least we should just use JMX and get the server by name
( using the domain name of the current component, and the defined name
of the component ).

For now - just avoid using the Server/Service where you can, and assume a
single name will be used - and it'll match the domain name.

It makes sense to use different domain names instead of using service name. It'll take lots of code change in admin to change all the objectnames to get rid of service name though. *sigh*

Would it work if I have more than one service with the same host name and path because there is no way to distinguish between these two different contexts currently? mbeans-descriptors.xml has all the components default to the same domain "Catalina". I wonder if bugzilla 17749 is related to the problem.

Amy