I'm running Tomcat 4.1.18 on Solaris 8 and Sun's JRE 1.3.x. I tried searching for the list but I couldn't seem to find anything that'll describe this problem.

Usually, I can start tomcat fine. However, it seems like once in a while I got this error from stdout:

org.apache.commons.logging.LogConfigurationException: org.apache.commons.logging.LogConfigurationException: org.apache.commons.logging.LogConfigurationException: Class org.apache.commons.logging.impl.Log4JCategoryLog does not implement Log
at org.apache.commons.logging.impl.LogFactoryImpl.newInstance(LogFactoryImpl.java:567)
at org.apache.commons.logging.impl.LogFactoryImpl.getInstance(LogFactoryImpl.java:291)
at org.apache.commons.logging.LogFactory.getLog(LogFactory.java:415)
at org.apache.tomcat.util.log.CommonLogHandler.log(CommonLogHandler.java:97)
at org.apache.tomcat.util.log.Log.log(Log.java:198)
at org.apache.tomcat.util.log.Log.log(Log.java:192)
at org.apache.tomcat.util.log.Log.log(Log.java:174)
at org.apache.tomcat.util.threads.ThreadPool$ControlRunnable.run(ThreadPool.java:533)
at java.lang.Thread.run(Thread.java:484)

Then Tomcat stops accepting connection and just hung there. Looking at the ThreadPool.java code I see around line 522:

/* Check if should execute a runnable. */
try {
if(noThData) {
if(p.debug>0) p.log( "Getting new thread data");
thData=toRun.getInitData();
noThData = false;
}

if(shouldRun) {
toRun.runIt(thData);
}
} catch(Throwable t) {
loghelper.log("Caught exception executing " + toRun.toString() + ", terminating thread", t);
loghelper.flush();
/*
* The runnable throw an exception (can be even a ThreadDeath),
* signalling that the thread die.
*
* The meaning is that we should release the thread from
* the pool.
*/

It seems to throw another exception on the "loghelper.log()" call inside the catch(Throwable t) block. From here I suspect class loading issues, but I couldn't figure out what is wrong. Note that I'm compiling Tomcat from source using common-logging 1.0.2 and log4j 1.2.6. I didn't include log4j in the tomcat distribution (not in server/lib) but I do have a servlet that uses log4j1.2.6 and have the jar in the WEB-INF/lib directory.

Does somebody experience anything like this before?

--
William Lee (Will)        | Sendmail Inc.
Email:  [EMAIL PROTECTED] | http://www.sendmail.com