It's very good indeed to be back in your "midst" again, and believe me, I will try hard to "mind my manners" and try to use this list for the most knowledgeable insight that I can posssibly get about how to execute certain jsp's/servlets with the Tomcat web container!!

Case in point: I am having problems with trying to see this "TodayServlet.java" servlet of mine. It just flat doesn't show up in my browser when I try to look at it, sad to say. It is just the most simple and basic servlet, so it shouldn't be too much of a "big deal" to correct whatever problem it has, so I could then see it. I naturally have attached it to my posting, and again, it's good to be back "in your good graces" again.

p.s.: excuse my absolute ignorance about how servlet creation is done successfully, but I was wondering if I possibly need a HTML file to go along with this servlet as a helper file.

import java.io.*;
import java.util.Date;
import javax.servlet.*;
import javax.servlet.http.*;

public class TodayServlet extends HttpServlet {

   public void doGet( HttpServletRequest request,
                      HttpServletResponse response )
         throws IOException, ServletException {
      response.setContentType( "text/HTML" );
      response.setHeader( "Pragma", "no cache" );
      response.setHeader( "Cache-Control", "no cache" );
      response.setHeader( "Expires", "0" );
      PrintWriter out = response.getWriter();
      out.println( "<HTML>" );
      out.println( "<head>" );
      out.println( "<title>Today</title>" );
      out.println( "</head>" );
      out.println( "<body bgcolor='000000' text='ffff10'>" );
     out.println("<h1>The Date and Time, if u didn't know,is:</h1>" );
      Date today = new Date();
      out.println( "<p>" + today + "</p>" );
      out.flush();
      out.println( "</body>" );
      out.println( "</HTML>" );
   }
}
<!DOCTYPE web-app PUBLIC
   "-//Sun Microsystems, Inc.//DTD Web Application 2.2//EN"
   "http://java.sun.com/j2ee/dtds/web-app_2.2.dtd";>

 <web-app>

 <display-name>
     How to program servlet examples
 </display-name>

 <description>
    this is the web app. in which we show our servlets/jsp's.
 </description>

 <servlet>
    <servlet-name>today</servlet-name>
    <servlet-class>TodayServlet</servlet-class>
 </servlet>

 <servlet-mapping>
    <servlet-name>today</servlet-name>
    <url-pattern>/today</url-pattern>