Hi,

when Internet Explorer prompts you with the list of certificates to send to
the server, it checks KeyUsage of the certs in you keystore.
If the list is empty, it means you have no usable cert.

How do you generate your certs? If you use openssl, please consult
openssl.txt in the docs. KeyUsage is explained there.
The behavior is dependent of version of ie and windows.

Certs from a trustcenter are very restricted in respect of usage. A email cert
may be usable only for email, and nothing more. Same for file encryption
(EFS), code signature and authentication, ...
Non-Repudiation could be the KeyUsage you need. But don't know
Take care: the KeyUsage of the CA-cert is sometimes also checked. Not talking
about CRLs.

With a Win2000 CA you have to chose the right profile when requesting the
cert.

This is definitely the wrong list to get deeper insight with certificates. But
I am also not sure what the right place would be...
openssl could be a good idea.

With this program you can generate test certs for any usage:
http://sourceforge.net/projects/myca
(Usable with Linux and cygwin. It's based on openssl)

Sometimes it is useful to test it with another browser.

hope that helps,

Reinhard