On Monday, June 9, 2003, at 03:31 PM, Mohamed Tagari wrote:

Hi,

Is there any way of instantiating the password and username
parameters for connecting to a database in the application code rather
than having it as plain text in the server.xml.

As having the username and password as plain text is not
very secure..

Any help/information will be apprectiated..

ok store the username/password as an encrypted text string and use the JAAS API to a: encrypt it in the first place, and b: read it back into the the application from the encrypted text string in the server.xml file.

I was looking into this myself (not using tomcat but in another Oracle/Java project), but the time it would take for me to implement and test the secure/encrypted version (2 days including test) was deemed to be not worthwhile. C'est la vie.

Kev

  <parameter>
    <name>username</name>
    <value>scott</value>
  </parameter>
  <parameter>
    <name>password</name>
    <value>tiger</value>
  </parameter>

especially the default scott/tiger :)

--
"To be governed is to be watched over, inspected, spied on, directed, legislated..." - Pierre-Joseph Proudhon