Dear Tomcat Developers,
I've been using Tomcat for years. It interested me so much that last year I spent
three months reading the source code. I learned a lot, not only about how the servlet
container works but also how to design Java applications in general. I particularly
liked the idea of valves and pipelines, as well as the hierarchical containers.
Knowing how Tomcat works enables one to write better servlets too, IMO.

I decided to share what I have learned in a book titled "How Tomcat Works". This is
supposed to be a tutorial, teaching the reader how the servlet container works and how
to build it. It is a big system and at first I had problems explaining it, considering
some readers might not have a clue as to how Tomcat ticks. Finally, I decided to build
simple implementations of some interfaces and explain the simplified components. In
fact, I started by explaining how the java.net.Socket class works in a simple Web
server (Chapter 1), followed by a simple servlet container that can't do anything
other than run a basic servlet (Chapter 2). Each chapter comes with an application and
each chapter's application is built upon the previous chapter's application. From
Chapter 1, the application evolves into the full-fledged Catalina 4.1.12. This book
will be around 500 pages thick and has 18 chapters.

Having said that, I realize I'm no expert. I wish I knew how Tomcat works better. The
reason for writing to this mailing list is to ask for favor from you all, the very
people who really understand how Tomcat works. I hope you could take some time to read
the chapters that I made available for download from my web site
www.brainysoftware.com. I'm sure with your feedback and comments this book will be
much better than the current form, and in the end could benefit Tomcat users and
anyone who has interest in Tomcat.

Millions of thanks,

Budi Kurniawan