Another thing to consider when evaluating object pooling is the expected
lifetime of the objects.  On modern JVMs with generational memory stores,
objects with a short lifespan (say the duration of a single HTTP request)
will probably never leave the nursery.  Pooling these kinds of objects
usually degrades performance rather than improving it.

I've just finished some performance research on Tomcat 3.2 (I know, I
know...) and one of the things I found was that the o.a.u.MimeHeaders and
related classes were a huge performance bottleneck.  The existing code went
to great lengths to avoid creating 'garbage' and the result was code that
was very slow.  I replaced it with a much simpler set of classes that
basically ignored the GC impact and saw a 15% performance improvement under
load.

Marc