Glenn,

What you've posted does not make much sense to me:
logging is not a per request event, or at least it
should not, so I don't see any bottleneck in a normal
situation where logged events are relatively rare.

The change is too big to be included at the last
minute in 4.1.25, which is meant to fix two security
issues primarily, and must be voted stable. As a
result, there will not be any more delays in this tag
(which should have happened yesterday, but
unfortunately, my DSL decided to die on me late in the
evening as I was putting together the changelog).
This is a good optimization overall, that can be done
in a few components (like the access log), but there's
simply no incentive to push back a release for it.
I'll have all the time I want for Tomcat starting next
week, so I can start doing more frequent TC 4
releases, instead of focusing the small amount of time
I have on TC 5 :-D

Additionally, there is no critical path component in
Tomcat which needs to be optimized for Date processing
(and esp not Jasper, except in dev mode). I did that
long ago.

Rémy